Monday, April 23, 2012

Lentil Veggie Soup



A couple of weeks ago I bought the Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix.  Tonight it really helped out as I stared at the pantry trying to figure out what to eat.  Even though it is 87 degrees outside, it just sounded good.  This mix is going to be a staple in our lives from now on.  It can be mixed with ANY veggies handy (onions, bell peppers, carrots, celery, mushrooms, kale, spinach, etc) and only takes an hour to simmer.  So easy!

8 cups water
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped mushroom
Dried Italian Seasoning spices - I used the one from Costco

Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for an hour.  Add some sea salt to taste (and for trace minerals).  

The kids ate it with a corn tortilla with sprinkled melted cheese (I have to compromise sometimes!) and it was a lovely, easy dinner to throw together.

I chopped all of the veggies with the Vidalia Chop Wizard.  It makes chopping super easy and my eyes don't water from the onions!  I take it with us everywhere - even on vacation!

Cost per serving: Around 75 cents depending on the veggies that you put in.  


No comments: